Frequently Asked Questions

Question. I just got a ticket.  Can I mail in the payment of my fine? 
Answer. Some fines are payable through the mail.  It is best to contact the Court Clerk’s office at (404) 559-6250 if you have any questions regarding payment of your citation.  Some traffic citations require you to appear in court, so you may want to contact the Court to see if you have to appear in court or if you can simply pay the citation. 
Question. I missed my court date.  What do I need to do to handle this? 
Answer. There are a few options to handle this.  If you have a valid driver’s license and the citation was for a minor traffic offense, then you need to contact the court at (404) 559-6250 and find out the amount of the fine and either mail in the payment or appear in person to pay the fine.  If you do not pay the fine, your license will be suspended for Failure to Appear.  If you still wish to take the matter to court, then you will need to go to the Court window and pay a fee for a court date reset.  If you are out on bond or have a more serious traffic charge or a city charge, more than likely a warrant has been issued for your arrest for Failure to Appear.  Contact the court at (404) 559-6250 and see if the fine can be paid off.  If the fine can’t be paid, then contact the Warrant Division at (404) 559-6288 to make arrangements to get your case reset.   
Question. There may be a warrant for my arrest and I want to take care of it.  What do I need to do?
Answer. Contact the Warrant Division at (404) 559-6288 and the Warrant Officer can let you know what you need to do.  In some cases, depending on the type of warrant, you may be given a copy of charges with no arrest made.  In the matter of a criminal warrant, you will need to turn yourself in so you can be arrested and the charges processed.  Simply ignoring the warrant will not make it go away.  Once you have been arrested, you can have a family member or friend make arrangements with a bonding company to get you out of jail.
 Question.   My vehicle was impounded by the East Point Police.  How do I get a release?
Answer. You must have a valid title or registration (tag) receipt in your name if you have owned the vehicle longer than 30 days.  If you have owned the vehicle for less than 30 days, you can use a bill of sale from an auto dealer, (no hand written bills of sale are accepted).  Bring the paperwork to the Information Office at the East Point Law Enforcement Center, 2727 East Point Street.  The Information Officer will then give you a release and advise you where to pick up your vehicle.
Question. I would like to visit an inmate at the East Point Jail.  What are the visiting hours?
Answer. Inmates may have visitors only after they have been in jail for four complete days.  The visiting hours are Fridays and Sundays from 9:00 AM until 11:00 AM, and from 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM.  Only one visitor, or one group of visitors is allowed per day for an individual inmate.
Question. When should I call 911?

Call 911 for emergencies only.  An emergency is when immediate Police, Fire or Ambulance assistance is necessary.  When you call 911, be prepared to answer the following questions:

         Location of your emergency

         Type of emergency

         Your name

         Your phone number

Question. What should I do if I am involved in a motor vehicle accident?
Answer.   If you are involved in a minor accident, no one is injured and the vehicles are drivable, move your vehicle out of the roadway if possible.  Cars left in the roadway contribute to traffic hazards.  Call 911 and DO NOT leave until you have spoken with a police officer.
Question. How do I check the status of my case?
Answer. If you want information on your case you can contact the officer who initially took your report.  If it is a case that requires further investigation, it will be reassigned to the Criminal Investigations Division.  Following a review of your case, an investigator will contact you regarding the status of your complaint.
Question.  What do I do if I find or see a stray animal?
Answer.   If you locate a stray animal, call Fulton County Animal Control at (404) 794-0358.
Question. How do I get an officer to speak to a group or to have a tour of the Police Department?
 Answer.  If you request the presence of an officer at your meeting, one will be assigned.  Contact the police department at (404) 559-6226 and your call will be directed to the proper person.  Tours can also be set up with advance notice.
Question.  How do I compliment an Officer or civilian employee?
Answer. For your convenience, just fill out the form and it is sent directly to the Chief of Police.
Question.  How do I file a complaint on an officer?
Answer. You can lodge an informal complaint by contacting the Field Operations Watch Commander.  To file a formal complaint, you can pick up a complaint form at the Information Desk located in the lobby of the Law Enforcement Center.
Question.  What do I do if pulled over by the police?
Answer. If you are pulled over by the police, you should lower your window and be prepared to show the officer your driver’s license.  Remain in your vehicle unless asked to get out of your vehicle.  If you do not agree with the citation you may be receiving, do not argue at the incident location with the officer.  The citation will have your court date on it and at that time you can present your case to the Judge.
Question.   My child is having problems with authority and I would like to get help.  Does the department offer any kind of services for this?
Answer.  You can contact the Juvenile Detective and speak with the detective about setting up your child for the Youth Alternative Intervention Program (YAIP).  The program meets on Saturdays, lasting most of the day.  More information can be obtained by calling (404) 559-6277.
Question.  I am interested in learning more about police work.  Does the police department offer anything that will teach me this?

The East Point Police Department holds a class called Citizen’s Police Academy.  The Citizen’s Police Academy is a program designed to acquaint East Point residents and business owners with the organization and interior working of the East Point Police Department.  The program will foster and enhance the Police Department by: 

         Enhancing community relations

         Raising community awareness of Police operations and training

         Promoting harmony within the community 

The course of study is much the same as that of the regular Police Academy Program, with one major exception.  Citizens graduating from this course will not be sworn police officers.  Students will attend classes once a week, and topics will range from crime prevention, drug enforcement, criminal investigations, the use of firearms, and a ride-along with police officers.  Classes taken will be shorter versions of those taught at the regular Police Academy.  The sessions are from 7:00 PM until 9:00 PM, and will be held once a week for ten consecutive weeks.  Anyone interested in attending can contact the Training Officer at (404) 559-6321.